tomeatery.com

Sunday, November 11, 2007

LOLA BELLINI BAR AND RESTAURANT

Recently opened up at the Terminus Building in Buckhead, Lola is the Italian incarnation for Tom Catherall’s “Here To Serve Restaurants” group that features such stalwarts as Prime, Shout, and Strip.

Lola is touted as a Bellini bar and restaurant. Admittedly, I’m a mixed drink neophyte, and if you’re like me, you may be as unfamiliar as I was with what exactly a Bellini is. It’s actually a cocktail consisting of champagne and usually peach juice. Considering my idea of a functional cocktail is strictly a pedestrian margarita, I’m definitely not the right person to ascertain the merits of Lola’s signature drink.

However, there’s plenty to love about this place aside from the libations. Like its sister restaurant, Strip, dimly lit red tints are pervasive, which serve as both a romantic and yet comfortable dining experience. There is, unfortunately, the omnipresent “table row” as I like to call them, which is becoming characteristic of all modern restaurant creations. (See my Sotto Sotto review for the definition of “Table Row.”) However, I requested and was granted a traditional table for two, and I’m pleased to report there’s a sufficient amount of space to allow for cozy, personal conversation.

The evening began with an appetizer consisting of grilled bread with a side of copious amounts of goat cheese and marinara sauce. The great thing about this appetizer is when you run out of the grilled bread, you can utilize the baked bread as I guarantee there will be sauce left over. The sauce was not spicy but still flavorful, and my dining companion noted it was some of the tastier goat cheese in Atlanta, to which I agreed.

For my entrée, I selected the chicken piccata, which came highly recommended by our jovial server, who was surprised to learn from me that Notre Dame had just lost in triple overtime to the Naval Academy. I couldn’t have agreed more with his assessment of the dish being light due to the egg and cheese battering preparation. Nonetheless, this did not detract from the dish’s savory taste. Two large chicken breasts not only pleased the palate but also satiated the appetite.

My friend partook of the baked rigatoni in a Gorgonzola sauce, which was certainly very rich to the taste buds and sapid like my dish. However, we both agreed mine was the better choice.

Desserts come on a cart, which I like for two reasons----tangibility and immediacy. In this scenario, I can clearly discern quickly which dessert appears to be the most appetizing, and my voracious appetite for sweets can be quenched in a matter of seconds once the dessert is cut. In this case, the orange swirl cheesecake, slightly tangy in nature, was my selection. I wouldn’t say it knocked my socks off, but it was serviceable.

Overall, I would recommend this restaurant, especially if you are fan of Catherall’s other establishments. I will say the dining patrons are your typical Buckhead crowd, so you won’t find much diversity of the clientele---at least not yet---like you might find at sister restaurant Prime at Lenox Mall. But the restaurant is new and its typical dining patrons may evolve as it does. The place does offer solid choices for vegetarians (stuffed ravioli, the aforementioned rigatoni, and three types of pizza) and the lactose intolerant (salmon, rotisserie chicken, sashimi tuna, chicken milanese, and steaks).


Food: A-
Service: A-
Portions: A-
Ambience/Comfort: A
Diversity Of Dining Patrons: Little diversity
Vegetarian Options: Yes
Options For Lactose Intolerant: Yes
OVERALL GRADE: A-
FINAL COMMENT: Nice variety of options to satisfy even the most discriminating of palates---from steaks to seafood to pizza to chicken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home