tomeatery.com

Sunday, November 18, 2007

PRIME

Anticipating an evening at Prime, for me, is reminiscent of watching my favorite movie for the 30th time. I know all of the lines, I know what is going to happen, and yet, I get excited each and every time!

Prime is a phenomenally outstanding restaurant, which delivers consistently and virtually flawlessly every time I dine there. There really are not enough adequate superlatives to accurately evaluate this restaurant.

It all starts when you walk in, where you are welcomed as if you are the VIP of the restaurant. I’m always greeted with a genuine, inviting smile by the hostess. My request to sit in the front of the restaurant in one of the comfy booths has been noted once more, and the “Reserved” card has been placed on my table. This is especially impressive to me on this evening, as the restaurant is packed, even at 6PM after a full day of shopping at Lenox Mall for some folks. Recession talk? I don’t think so.

After being taken to my table, it is only mere moments before I am cheerfully greeted by our server. I am not one who is preoccupied with formality or pretentious clamoring, but the folks at Prime have a way of reconciling respectful congeniality with contrived, supercilious formality that so many of the Buckhead elite demand. It is obvious the servers at Prime can ascertain quickly what type of service you prefer and respond accordingly.

There are a plethora of exemplary options at Prime---from USDA Prime to sushi to seafood, but for my money, why on earth would you go to this restaurant and not eat the unsurpassed steak? Order the filet. Just do it. If you’re starving, go for the 14 ounces or if you prefer to be less of a glutton, opt for the 8 ounce option. Whatever you do, don’t get it butterflied, if you select the larger option, even if that is the suggestion. You’ll lose all of the juices.

As I bite into my 8 ounce filet (which I opted for on this evening in an obvious futile attempt to mitigate upcoming Thanksgiving week calories), I return to my aforementioned analogy about watching my favorite movie. Or, perhaps to bring it home a little more carnally, how about the sensation of consistently good sex with a lover or spouse? You’re reminded why you’re there in the first place! Yes, folks, the steak is that good.

I’ve tried them all in the Atlanta area, as well as the top steakhouses across the country, but none can trump Prime in my estimation. Several have rivaled it but none have surpassed it. On this evening, like every time I’ve dined at Prime, the steak is juicy, tender, and bursting with flavor. You don’t need seasoning or steak sauce. Steak sauce? This would be the steakhouse equivalent of blasphemy!

The accompaniments I’ve selected (mashed potatoes, macaroni cheese) are superb. The creamed spinach is commendable as well, made with garlic and blue cheese.

My friend, who I’m taking out for his birthday on this evening, raves about his ribeye. Much too fatty a cut of steak for my tastes, but from the feedback I received, I’d say it’s a cogent selection as well.

The birthday dessert is a circular piece of cheesecake served with raspberries and strawberries and topped with whipped cream. After the ambrosial entrée I’ve just ingested, it wouldn’t have mattered how this tasted, but the three bites I had were satisfying.

In my estimation, Prime is the crown jewel in Tom Catherall’s arsenal of restaurants. I have always been vocal in my assertion that Prime is the best restaurant in Atlanta. Due to its unfortunate location in a mall, even as one as ballyhooed as Lenox Square, Prime often does not get its just desserts from the critics. Other steakhouses often receive the praise before Prime does, but trust me, there’s no worthier dining destination for beef than this place.

Plenty of options for the lactose intolerant from steaks to seabass to tuna. Vegetarian options include a vegetable plate and an array of salads.

As far as diversity goes, this restaurant has it all, which you would expect from a dining establishment confined in a mall. Young, old, families, and a variety of ethnic backgrounds can be found at Prime most every time you dine. It’s just one more thing that I love about this place, amongst scads.

Whether it’s a special occasion or just a respite from mall shopping, Prime should be your destination. Even the most discriminating palates (and I’ve taken numerous people to Prime) will love this place!

Food: A+
Service: A+
Portions: A
Ambience/Comfort: A
Diversity Of Dining Patrons: Very good
Vegetarian Options: Yes
Options For Lactose Intolerant: Yes
OVERALL GRADE: A+
FINAL COMMENT: Simply delectable!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home