tomeatery.com

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Kaysons Neighborhood Grille

Five years ago, if you drove by the area around Howell Mill Road and I-75, your dining destination would have been Einstein’s Bagel or Wendy’s. But, of course, in Atlanta, we can’t leave any land untouched without proliferating condos or a shopping center, can we?

Nestled in the new “We Want To Feel Like Country Bumpkins So Let’s Throw Up A Wal-Mart Complex” are a multiplicity of new restaurants and shopping venues.

It was here that I stumbled upon Kaysons Neighborhood Grill. What it should be more aptly named would be Kaysons Sports Bar, because that is really what it is. Television screens abound, and the touch I like is the mini TV’s at the booths.

Now you may look at my other reviews and wonder how Kaysons can be vetted like Prime, Lola, and Sotto Sotto can. Well, it’s certainly not in the same league as fine dining establishments, but hey, we all have our moments where we just want to let our hair down, dress like we just got out of truck and tractor pull, and throw down some grub!!!

Such was the case on my recent visit to Kaysons. The menu is what you might expect from a sports bar. They have a little bit of everything---burgers, ribs, chicken, wings, a few fish dishes, and salads.

On this evening, we’re seated in the elevated table and chairs in the bar area, which is fine with me. Our server boasts this place’s specialties are the aforementioned ribs and burgers. I opted for the ribs, and my friends went with the burgers.

The ribs, in a word, were delicious. I selected the half rack, but even that portion size was surprisingly copious. You often hear of restaurants boasting of “fall off the bone baby back ribs.” These lived up to that type billing. The accompanying barbeque sauce, crucially important to the success of ribs, was neither too spicy nor too insipid, and the meat was juicy and saporous. These were easily some of the best ribs I had tasted in the city. My ribs came with two sides---bland macaroni and cheese and serviceable mashed potatoes. In retrospect, I should have tried the fries.

The applause with which I gave the ribs could not be sustained, however, with the burgers. Now admittedly my friend ordered his well done, which I’m not usually a fan of, quite frankly. However, I didn’t detect the type of seasoning that, in my opinion, makes a great burger. I’ll be the first to tell you that I am quite finicky about burgers and have high criteria that must be met in order to give a superior grade. I’m willing to try a burger at Kaysons on a future visit for verification, but my initial impressions of it were not glowing.

Desserts at Kaysons are in a chilled case at the front of the restaurant. A few looked appetizing, but ultimately, I elected to try what was not in the case---warm chocolate chip cookies with chocolate sauce and ice cream. How can this not be a viable selection each and every time? And this one delivered and was gone in a matter of seconds.

As far as service, you don’t expect it to be peerless when you’re at a bar and especially when you sit in the bar, but the two servers, who doubled as bartenders, were attentive and friendly.

Vegetarian options at Kaysons include several salad choices. Lactose intolerant folks will welcome plenty of options from the stellar ribs to chicken.

Overall, I would recommend a stop at Kaysons, especially if you’re searching for a place to watch the NFL games and chow down on pleasing American bar food. Prices were reasonable so you won’t break your budget nor will your frugal friends complain about having to spend too much.

Food: B+
Service: B+
Portions: A
Ambience/Comfort: B
Diversity Of Dining Patrons: Good
Vegetarian Options: Yes
Options For Lactose Intolerant: Yes
OVERALL GRADE: B+
FINAL COMMENT: A welcomed addition to the neighborhood!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home