tomeatery.com

Monday, December 10, 2007

Kyma

Allow me to preface what I’m about to write with this little profound old saying: “Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has one.” Let me follow that little ditty up with the fact that I do not partake of a myriad of Greek foods on a regular basis. I do have a Greek friend, but he has never cooked for me.

I say all of this because I’m about to write a review for Kyma, listed in “Atlanta Magazine” as one of the Top 100 restaurants in our beloved city. I’m having pangs of guilt already, in large part because of the aforementioned lack of Greek food consumption. I mean, seriously, do gyros count as Greek cuisine?

If you’re already thinking, “What business does this guy have to write a review of a Greek restaurant?”, then by all means, get John Kessler of the “Atlanta Journal Constitution” on the phone and ask his opinion.

However, you might be someone who has seen Kyma on Piedmont Road for years and has wondered, “Is that place any good? I don’t eat much Greek, but it looks cool.” If that quote sounds like you, then this is the review you need to read!

Things start off wonderfully enough at Kyma. I walked through the ornate dining area, where tones of ivory emanate across the room, to my spacious booth---suitable for at least four people or (five if you don’t have any hefty folks with you.)

Minutes later, our server has greeted us and inquired the almost patronizingly trite phrase of, “Have you ever dined at Kyma before?” No knock on our waiter because I realize most fine dining establishments ask this trifling, tiresome question. However, if you say “No”, you render an abject look of, “How can you consider yourself a refined man of the millennium if you have not dined at our splendid establishment? How uncouth are you?!!”

After the banal overview of the restaurant’s menu, I noticed our waiter was not overflowing in ebullience either. He was not rude but not exceptionally convivial either.

My friend and I immediately ordered the grilled pita bread appetizer, which comes with several different type spreads with which to choose. We elect the “Roasted Red Holland Peppers And Feta Cheese” variety. I love feta cheese, so I’m thinking this is a meritable choice.

I could not have been more wrong. The red peppers were so overpowering that I barely noticed any discernable feta cheese. It almost had a sweet taste to it, which was definitely not what was expected or desired.

For my entrée, my friend and I both ordered the salmon. This is problematic for my blog for two reasons: First, I don’t get to review multiple selections, and two, if my food isn’t any good, I can’t nibble on someone else’s either!!

Our waiter described the salmon as being cooked “unilaterally”, leaving the top portion leaning a bit more toward the medium rare side. When it arrived, it looked like our waiter had “unilaterally” decided to drop off some of it at another table. The salmon was prepared in what appeared to be a vinaigrette type sauce. Regardless, the salmon tasted, well, too fishy. Does that make sense to describe a dish as “too fishy”? I think it does actually. And the aforementioned sauce combined with the mushrooms did not enhance the taste substantially either. The $27.50 price tag seemed a bit over-inflated considering the portion size and the quality. My friend concurred whole-heartedly on the sapidity of it as well.

At this point, I didn’t even desire dessert, though none of the suggestions, including baklava, really enticed me anyway. We simply asked for the check, which turned out to be slightly harrowing when the tab of some adjacent table of $175 was mistakenly given instead of the less austere $75.

In my blogs, if you leave a restaurant and head for McDonald’s, there’s a problem. That’s exactly what happened by the way.

Again, I’m no connoisseur of Greek of food, but I do know what is pleasing to my palate and what is not. Aside from the complimentary bread, nothing on this evening was.

I so wanted to grade Kyma higher, namely because I truly enjoyed the relaxed, yet garish dining room, but regretfully, it did not resonate with me. While I am a big fan of other Buckhead Restaurant Life Group establishments, namely Chops and Pricci, I can’t side with Kyma. Call it a “unilateral” decision!

Food: C-
Service: C+
Portions: D
Ambience/Comfort: A
Diversity Of Dining Patrons: Needs improvement
Vegetarian Options: Yes
Options For Lactose Intolerant: Yes
OVERALL GRADE: C-
FINAL COMMENT: Take the $27.50 and try another establishment in the Buckhead Life Restaurant Group.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home