tomeatery.com

Monday, December 17, 2007

Ray's In The City

Ever been to a restaurant that is neither superb nor atrocious, but even describing it as unremarkable doesn’t quite encapsulate it either?

That’s how I was feeling on my recent visit to Ray’s In The City, the sister restaurant of the more renowned Ray’s On The River.

Seafood is the name of the game here, and it’s also no surprise that you get the “Fresh Not Frozen” lecture. This is one of my favorite restaurant mantras. You know the deal, right? “Our seafood is made to order---the freshest available---never frozen.” Now allow me to be a tad sardonic, but would any seafood restaurant ever boast, “We have the freshest frozen seafood in town?” Just a thought. Maybe I’m naïve, but I’d like to think that all food at a restaurant is somewhat fresh, right? “Hit me up w/ the stale salmon tonight” probably hasn’t been uttered too recently, I wouldn’t think.

Despite the lecture, I can’t complain at the service at Ray’s In The City. From the moment I walk in, I’m cheerfully greeted and taken to my table, and the wait staff is only too happy to accommodate my table preference. Our waitress, Dietra, is effervescent and congenial.

For appetizers, we order the California rolls. I’ve acquired a taste for sushi the last few years, and like to think I have sampled enough to make a respectable evaluation. They were tasty and came in plentiful quantity.

For my entrée, I go with the seafood platter---blackened everything--- shrimp stuffed with crab meat, scallops, salmon, and lobster tail served with mashed potatoes. This is where my ambivalence with Ray’s becomes so acute. I don’t mean to belittle Ray’s seafood platter, but let’s just say my palate has been stimulated more at some high quality, regional chains than it was on this evening. This is not to say that I didn’t enjoy my dinner. I did. However, I guess I expected and demanded more for this almost $30 entrée.

Two of my friends selected the crab cakes, which I had to nibble on, of course. My fundamental problem with crab cakes as an entrée is that they never fill me up entirely. Ray’s version comes with two moderately sized cakes, but I’ve seen other seafood places that have one large cake instead. Either way, it’s never enough for my appetite, so I never order it. Taste wise, not size wise, these crab cakes were unimpeachable and very respectable.

My last friend orders the horseradish encrusted grouper. His entrée looked the most appetizing as it was served and definitely the most sizeable in terms of portions as it came with two large filets. However, appearances often are deceiving, and this one was actually. It was rather bland and disappointing.

Since this dinner was for a birthday, Dietra brought out a complimentary dessert, which turned to be red velvet cake. By far, it was the most delectable of all I had consumed---rich, moist, and scrumptious.

You do have much to like about Ray’s In The City. For one, there’s a wide variety of menu items---from seafood, to steaks, to chicken, and pasta. There’s also a bevy of options for the lactose intolerant. Most of all, you’re comfortable when you dine here, and our service---as I noted earlier---was friendly, relaxed, and delivered in an unhurried, leisurely pace. As you might imagine, based on its downtown location, there’s a diverse crowd in attendance, which I enjoyed as well.

One issue with seafood restaurants is they are problematic for true vegetarians. Options are usually limited, and Ray’s is no exception. Appetizers are the only options for this group of folks and include fried green tomatoes and the house or Caesar salad.

Let me note that I’ve been to Ray’s In the City several times but never in my blogging duty capacity, so perhaps I was a bit more critical this time around. While I can’t recall specifically what fish I had in previous visits, I know that I enjoyed it enough to return and recommend this establishment for a birthday celebration.

That being said, I hearken back to my earlier statements about this restaurant. I didn’t leave raving, but I wasn’t disappointed I had recommended it either. Ultimately, my friend thoroughly enjoyed his meal, and on this date, that was what was most important.

Food: B
Service: A+
Portions: B+
Ambience/Comfort: A
Diversity Of Dining Patrons: Good
Vegetarian Options: Limited
Options For Lactose Intolerant: Yes
OVERALL GRADE: B+
FINAL COMMENT: I’m going to allow the quality service and ambience to trump everything else and give Ray’s a high B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home