tomeatery.com

Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Melting Pot

So, you thought Tomeatery.com was dead and buried, didn’t you? Heck no!! Just like Cher, we always keep coming back!!!!!

I’ll admit we’ve had a significant delay since our last review, but that is due to a couple of factors: vacation and too much freakin’ work from my day job!!!!!

I thought it was only fitting that Tomeatery.com should return with a review of a different type of dining experience, and so, I visited The Melting Pot, a fondue-chain with a myriad of locations throughout the country.

On this particular evening, the restaurant proved to be convenient as well because of its “near the Fox Theatre” location. No matter how the food was going to be, this was certain to be an enjoyable evening simply because of the uproarious laughter that was going to be coming my way afterwards at the hands of inimitable, sardonic Chris Rock.

Upon entering The Melting Pot, I’m especially impressed by the layout of the restaurant, which has adequate spacing to allow for a relaxed, comfortable meal without the risk of smelling someone’s aftershave wafting to your table because of the cramming technique restaurants so often utilize these days.

My dining companion and I, upon being seated, are almost immediately greeted by Megan, our congenial and gregarious waitress. Being first timers at this restaurant, she succinctly outlines the various features of the menu—and emphasizes the dinners for two which include cheese fondue, salad, and the entrees consisting of several types of chicken, fish, and steak.

On this evening, we opt for the Signature Selection, which includes filet mignon, shrimp, teriyaki-marinated sirloin, chicken, and fish fillets. It came served with a choice of cheese fondue and salad.

For the cheese fondue selection, we go for the spinach artichoke variety, made at the table with spinach, artichoke hearts, garlic, Fontina and Butterkase cheeses with a dash of Tabasco sauce. Surprisingly enough, this cheese didn’t have near the kick that I thought it would, but most anything involving cheese is pleasing to me, nonetheless.

The spinach mushroom salad (I was obviously on spinach gorging on this particular evening), with Portobello mushrooms, red onions, chopped bacon, and Roma tomatoes, served with Burgundy Shallot Vinaigrette was another solid choice.

As the entrée arrived, I derived my first conclusions about fondue restaurants---don’t go there if you’re starving. Luckily, on this evening, I was not. I think there were four shrimp total. Maybe it was six. I don’t know. But I do know they went quickly! The rest of the meats---chicken, fish, and steak---could have fed me comfortably by myself!

My guess is that fondue parlors are banking on the fact that eventually you will tire of having to cook everything yourself and wait for it to be done before consuming what turns out to be about a ¼ of an inch morsel of meat.

The other aspect that strikes me about this type of dining is the emphasis on the differentiated, convivial atmosphere over impeccable, succulent meats. Neither the filet mignon nor the sirloin knocks my socks off. In fact, both need salt and teriyaki sauce---surprising especially for the latter which was allegedly marinated with teriyaki---to spruce up the overall piquancy. The fish fillet is also bland.

My friend and I agree the shrimp is the best, but again, they were gone quickly. Damn, was it four or six total?

You get the idea, though, of my overall impression of the meal when my vexation about remembering the number of shrimp trumps everything else.

I will say this meal enabled me to hearken back to my halcyon childhood days of my mother making fondue. However, my mother didn’t charge $54 per couple for hers, and the meats she served tasted remarkably comparable to these.

We had to pass on dessert, which I suppose could have enhanced my overall rating of dinner, but Chris Rock was calling!

Vegetarian options----or should I say option----is known as, unbelievably, The Vegetarian. Imagine that. This fondue includes vegetables, tofu, artichoke hearts, Portobello mushrooms, spinach, and Gorgonzola ravioli.

Lactose intolerant folks will want to obviously forgo the cheese fondue portion, but pretty much everything else is fair game.

Service was stellar and delivered attentively by Megan, and she was a large part of the evening’s success.

I wouldn’t rush back to The Melting Pot, but I also wouldn’t cross it off the list either. It’s certainly a disparate type of dining, but I appreciated the relaxed, laid-back concept.


Food: B-
Service: A
Portions: C
Ambience/Comfort: A
Diversity Of Dining Patrons: Good
Vegetarian Options: Cheeses, salads, one main entree
Options For Lactose Intolerant: Yes
OVERALL GRADE: B
FINAL COMMENT: Ambience and service, coupled with the unique style of dining, keep the overall grade in the B range.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home