tomeatery.com

Friday, August 8, 2008

THE BEST OF ATLANTA 2008!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve been asked many a time, “What’s the best Italian restaurant in Atlanta? Best Steakhouse? Best Mexican?” I thought it was time for me to formulate a “Best Of” tailored to the Atlanta restaurant scene, destined to create a ballyhooed debate across the A!!


Without further ado, (drumroll, please) here are the Best Of Winners as evaluated by Tomeatery.com:


BEST STEAKHOUSE (Non-Chain): PRIME
Comment: I’m quite effusive with my praise of this steakhouse. You can also find excellent seafood and sushi. The USDA prime beef is unparalleled, and there’s no better deal than ½ off on the steaks daily from 5PM through 6:15PM. (Order to kitchen by 6:30PM to qualify.)

BEST ITALIAN (Non-Chain): PRICCI
Comment: The Buckhead Restaurant Life Group has several delicious, noteworthy establishments, but Pricci is peerless in my estimation. Elegant ambience, attentive service, and mouth-watering Italian food make Pricci my personal favorite in this category.

BEST MEXICAN (Non-Chain): INCOMPLETE
Comment: I’ve heard many of my friends rave about Nuevo Laredo Cantina, but the waits have been so interminable, that I have yet to feast at this local neighborhood favorite. Thus, until I do, I cannot conclusively (or in all fairness) render a verdict in this category.

BEST BRUNCH (Non-Chain): MURPHY’s
Comment: The French toast is simply marvelous, as are many of the other brunch specialties. Sadly, the waits on the weekends deter me from dining here more frequently. I will say Einstein’s is a very close second!!

BEST THAI (Non-Chain): (TIE) NAN AND TAMARIND SEED
Comment: Not surprisingly, the two best Thai restaurants in the city are owned by the same woman—Nan Niyomkul. I’d say Nan is a more romantic and pricier setting, but Tamarind Seed delivers consistently with many piquant dishes.

BEST BURGER (Non-Chain): SIX FEET UNDER
Comment: There used to be a segment in the “INTOWN” newspaper called “The Burger Guys.” These gentlemen would go around town seeking the best burger in the area. They pegged Six Feet Under as the absolute best, and I’d have to agree with them. Seasoned perfectly, these are some of the best burgers you’ll ever find.

BEST TURKEY BURGER (Non-Chain): ATLANTIC GRILL
Comment: Looking for a tasty, low-fat alternative? Head down to Atlantic Station (Actually, don’t unless you’re really cute! It’s too crowded already!!) for their fantastic turkey burger with mushrooms. By far, the best thing on the menu!

BEST SEAFOOD (Non-Chain): ATLANTA FISH MARKET
Comment: I noted Pricci as the best the Buckhead Life Group has to offer, and I stand by that. Atlanta isn’t necessarily teeming with a myriad of excellent seafood restaurants. (I’m from Florida so I’m particularly discerning in this category.) However, I’d have to say the restaurant with the gargantuan fish in the front is best with limited excellent choices in the Atlanta metro area.


BEST STEAKHOUSE (Chain): RUTH’S CHRIS STEAKHOUSE:
Comment: A steak served up in sizzling butter? This is beef heaven for some. Also some excellent seafood and chicken dishes. Which brings me to….

BEST DESSERT (Chain or Non-Chain): APPLE TART at RUTH’S CHRIS STEAKHOUSE
Comment: Simply the most indulgent, luscious, artery-blocking dessert I’ve ever ingested. The crust is filled with apples and caramel, then baked, and topped off with a dollop of ice cream. Unbelievably delicious!

BEST ITALIAN (Chain): MAGGIANO’s
Comment: I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say they went to Maggiano’s and hated it. Copious portions of pastas, seafood, and pleasing chicken dishes make this perennial favorite a fantastic choice for a special occasion or just a regular belt-busting night out.

BEST MEXICAN (Chain): ROSA MEXICANO
Comment: Remember what I said about NOT coming down to Atlantic Station? Word is getting around about the best guacamole in Atlanta. Rosa makes it right at your table, and despite the double digit price tag, it’s worth every dollar! Some memorable entrée dishes and friendly service as well.

BEST BRUNCH (Chain): J. CHRISTOPHER’S
Comment: If you can’t find something you like on this menu, you are too picky, and you need to get a life! Plenty of fantastic choices including breakfast skillets, a plethora of omelets, specialty pancake dishes, French toast, and much more.

BEST CHEAP DATE PLACE (Non-Chain): NICKIEMOTO’S
Comment: Sushi prices that we’ll make the frugal folks of the world smile, along with very affordable entrees, replete with an eclectic and lively crowd, make this a solid choice when you’re pinching the pennies but still want a palate-pleasing meal.

BEST BRAZILIAN STEAKHOUSE (Chain or Non-Chain): FOGO DE CHAO
Comment: This is a restaurant concept that seems to be getting more and more traction as a multitudinous amount have emerged across the country. However, for my money (and bring a lot because it’s almost $50 per person), you can’t beat Fogo De Chao for selections, quality, and service. Carnivores rarely have to wait for more than a minute with the green card turned up (indicating you want more food) before more and more beef, poultry, pork, and lamb options are brought to your table. However, the one downside is that you walk out of there feeling like a beached whale.

BEST LATE NIGHT SPOT (Chain or Non-Chain): STEAK N’ SHAKE
Comment: I’m sorry, but you can’t beat homemade milkshakes, double cheese steakburgers, and that unsurpassed chili at 3AM after a night of clubbing. You just can’t.

BEST RESTAURANT TO ENSURE YOU’RE GETTING LAID FROM YOUR DATE (Non Chain): THE SUN DIAL
Comment: Or, to put it in a less unrefined fashion, for “Most Romantic Restaurant”, this is my choice. The food is not stellar by any stretch, but you aren’t going there for that. You’re going for the breath-taking views of the city, and oh yeah, to impress your date. If he or she doesn’t put out for you after a date there, they’re really not that into you!!

BEST PIZZA: NANCY’S
Comment: Don’t email me about Fellini’s! Nancy’s thin crust Canadian bacon and black olives pizza is the closest thing to pie nirvana I’ve found.

BEST DESSERT PLACE: CAFÉ INTERMEZZO
Comment: This cozy little place has a wide array of cakes, tarts, and cheesecakes. A relaxing, laid-back option to culminate an evening out.

BEST OVERALL RESTAURANT: PRIME
Comment: I know, I know. You probably think, “How can a mall restaurant be the best in Atlanta?” Well, to relegate Prime to the pedestrian ranks of a “Mall Restaurant” is like branding “The Dark Knight” as a “moderately successful film.” The steak is superb, but the seafood and sushi selections are meritorious as well. I’ve always been vocal about how underrated I believe this restaurant is, but I’m not alone in my assessment. Whitney Houston actually identified Prime as her favorite in that train wreck of a reality show, “Being Bobby Brown.” (Yes, sadly, I did watch an episode!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home